Dimension Enhancements in Revit 2014
In Revit 2014, you can now insert alternate dimensions along with the main dimension. Figure 1 display dimensions with alternate units placed with it.
Figure 1 Floor plan view displaying the alternate units along with the main unit
This feature was one of the waited wish list fulfilled in Revit 2014. Architects and Designers throughout the globe can now communicate through the units they want.
To see how the alternate units can be set and can be used while documenting the model (BIM), we will work on an illustration " Working on Alternate Units"
Illustration: Essential Setups and Working on Alternate Units ( Time: 25 Minutes)
Opening the File
First open the business_school.rvt file or open a desired file of your choice. To download the business_school.rvt file login click on the link: http://www.cadcim.com/ProductDetails.aspx?ISBN=978-1-936646-29-6.
1. To open the file choose Open > Project from the Application Menu and select the appropriate file or the downloaded file.
Changing the Detail Level
1. Next , to change the detail level of the drawing view, choose the Detail Level button form the View Control Bar; a flyout will be displayed as shown in Figure 2.
Figure 2 A flyout displayed on choosing the Detail Level button
2. From the displayed flyout choose the Fine option; the view will be displayed in fine detailing, as shown in Figure 3.
Figure 3 The view displayed in fine detailing
1. Now, select the existing dimension from the drawing, the Modify Dimensions contextual tab will be displayed , as shown in Figure 4.
Figure 4 The Modify |Dimension contextual tab displayed
2. In this tab, choose the Edit Witness Lines tool to change the witness line placement for the selected dimension; the cursor will change and the witness line of the selected dimension is subjected to change as shown in Figure 5.
Figure 5 The witness line is subject to change
3. Place the cursor on the grid D; the dimension changes and another dimension is also added. refer to Figure 6.
Figure 6 The dimension added on editing the witness line
4. Now, choose the Modify button from the Select panel to exit from the dimension.
Changing the Type Properties and Setting the Alternate Units
1. Now, select any of the exterior dimension; the Modify| Dimension tab will be displayed and the instance properties of the selected dimension will be displayed in the Properties Palette.
2. In the Properties Palette choose the Edit Type button; the Type Properties dialog box will be displayed.
3. In this dialog box, choose the Duplicate button; the Name dialog box will be displayed.
4. In this dialog box enter Alternative Units in the Name edit box and choose the OK button; the Name dialog box will be closed and the Type Properties dialog box will be displayed again.
5. In the Type Properties dialog box, scroll down and click in the Value field of the Alternate Units Parameter; a drop-down list will be displayed.
6. From the drop-down list select the Right option.
From the drop-down list you can select the Left option if you desire to place the alternate units on the left side of the main dimension. :-)
7. From the drop-down list select the Right option, refer to Figure 7.
Figure 7 The various parameters of the Alternate units
8. Now, choose the button corresponding to the Alternate Units Format value; the Format dialog box will be displayed.
9. In this dialog box, select the Meters option from the Units drop-down list and m from the Unit symbol drop-down list, respectively.
10.Now, choose the OK button; the Format dialog box will close.
11. Now in the Alternate Unit Prefix and Alternate Unit Suffix parameters enter" (" and" )" characters, respectively.
12. Now. choose the OK button; the Type Properties dialog box will be closed and the new type is created and applied in the selected dimension as shown in Figure 8.
Figure 8 Alternate dimensions displayed